Monday, September 14, 2009

Crafty Catch Up, Part 2

This post is all about sewing. I am loving being able to make clothes for my girls. I never thought that I would be into this so much, but I just love being able to create something completely original for my children. I also like to tell people that I made it.

The first one is a simple little shirred dress/top.  I admit that I cheated with this a bought the fabric with the shirring already done, but I just wanted to test it. I also bought some elastic thread so that I can try it myself.
I have seen these dresses all over the internet and have been dying to try one. I picked up the white shirt for $4 from Big W the other week.  The bottom part is from one of my old shirts. I love these colours together. Things to remember for next time, add a bit of extra fabric to the bottom part so that it gathers more and is a bit more flowy. (Is that a word?!?) I would also probably add a ribbon or something over the join.
Here is a close up of the flower I did. To do this I found an image I liked on my computer, printed it out and cut it out. I traced around it and ironed it onto the bottom of the dress. I then hand sewed around it to make sure that it stays on.
While Mum and I were on one of our daily walks we found an op shop that we didn't know was there and popped in for a quick look. Mum found this skirt and talked about turning it into a skirt for one of the girls. It was only $2 so I thought I'd try it. Here is the before picture.
And here is the after picture. I know that it doesn't look much like this but it turned out really cute.I measured the length that I wanted and then pinned and sewed around it three times to hold the pleats in. I then attached it to the singlet. It is meant to be worn with a shirt, cardigan or jumper over the top. When Amie wears it I will take a picture so you can see how cute it is. Not bad for $2 plus a singlet.

No comments: