Sunday, August 21, 2011

Baking Day

On Thursday I felt like doing some baking so I invited my Mum over to join me for the day. We made lots of yummy things and tried out a few new recipes.

Before mum came over I started out by making some Anzac biscuits. I got the recipe from one of the many cooking magazines that I constantly buy.


I doubled the recipe below because otherwise they don't last long around here. I also added chocolate chips to half of them. My kids can be really picky about what they eat so I find that if I add chocolate chips to it somehow they will give it more of a try.
I love these cookies. They are soft and cake like, which I love!

Chewy Anzac Biscuits

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup plain flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup desiccated coconut
125g butter, chopped
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1/2 teaspoon bi-carb soda

1. Preheat oven to 160C
2. Combine oats, flour, sugar and coconut in a bowl.
3. Place butter, syrup and 2 tablespoons of cold water in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until butter     has melted.
4. Stir bi-carb soda into butter mixture.
5. Then, mix butter mixture into the oat mixture.
6. Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls. (I make mine smaller than this so I get more) Place on trays 5 cm apart. Flatten slightly.
7. Bake for 12 minutes for chewy biscuits of 15 minutes for crisp ones.

Next up we tried a lemon cake. Ever since we went to the cupcake shop to try some cupcakes for Caitlyn's party and ate a lemon curd cupcake I have been wanting to find a deliciously, moist lemon cake recipe. Well here it is. It was so easy to make and tastes divine. Of course, none of the kids like it, but that just means that there is more for me!


Lemon Cake Recipe
3/4 cup (180ml) vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup (280g) thick natural yoghurt
1 3/4 cup caster sugar
2 cups self-raising flour

Method
1. Preheat oven to 180C (350F)
2. Place the oil, eggs, rind, lemon juice, yoghurt and sugar in a bowl and whisk to combine.
3. Sift over the flour and stir until smooth.
4. Pour the mixture into a greased 24 cm round tin and bake for 35 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
5. While the cake is still hot remove from the tin and place on a plate.

Next up we made our very own foccacia bread. Mum got the recipe from her friend and I'm so glad that she did. It was so yummy.

Foccacia
400ml lukewarm water
2 teaspoons yeast
4 teaspoons oil
500g flour
Pinch salt
4 crushed cloves of garlic
1-2 tablespoons finely chopped rosemary
(Add half the garlic and rosemary to about 1/4 cup olive oil for brushing later)

Mix water, yeast and oil together. Add flour, salt and 2 cloves of the garlic and half the rosemary and mix to combine. Knead for 10 minutes. Rise for an hour. Knock down and shape into a rough rectangle about 3/4" - 1" thick and rise another 30 minutes. Press with fingertips to put little indentations over the whole surface of the dough then brush generously with infused oil and sprinkle with rock salt. Bake at 200-220C for 20 to 30 minutes until golden.

We didn't have any time left but I also wanted to bake some White Chocolate and Raspberry muffins and I wanted to try some zucchini bread as well. Maybe next week!

No comments: